Click the link below to participate in the survey
Located in the Southwest portion of Missouri, Nevada is 90 miles south of Kansas City, Mo., 95 miles north and west of Springfield and 45 miles north of Joplin. Tucked away from the bustling of metropolitan areas, Nevada is strongly positioned for future growth as an economical and safe community to retire or raise a family.
Business is thriving in Nevada. The city serves as a regional hub for government, recreation and industry with the agriculture and manufacturing industries leading the way. Major employers include 3M, Nevada Regional Medical Center, Nevada R-5 School District, Wal-Mart Supercenter and Murphy Family Ventures. The W.F. Norman Corporation, which opened for business in 1898, remains the only manufacturer of metal ceilings left in the U.S.
The Nevada Regional Medical Center provides same-day surgery (including orthopedics), inpatient care with an Intensive Care Unit, family-centered maternity care, inpatient and outpatient Behavioral Health Services and more. The city also has private-practice physician offices, an urgent care clinic and behavioral health services. Additionally, the Vernon County Health Department offers the Women, Infant, Children (WIC) program, the SMILE Clinic (which provides dentistry for underserved children), On My Own, Inc. center for independent living, and many more.
Cited by 417 Magazine as a “Top 10 Best Community to Live In,” Nevada has something for everyone. There are 439 acres of beautiful city parks for exercise and play. A state-of-the-art sports complex provides for year-round fun. The Bushwhacker Museum Heritage Center, Fox Playhouse Theater and Nevada Square provide entertainment and shopping. For those who love the outdoors, thousands of acres of dedicated conservation land surround the city. Plus, Bushwhacker and Stockton lakes are just minutes away.
We know that education is imperative to change health behaviors and the health of individuals. Healthy Nevada had provided educational programming in several areas to address the needs of the community.
• Nutrition/Cooking education
• Peace of Mind: Life with Diabetes
• Peace of Mind: Life with Depression
• 12345 Fit-Tastic
• Getting Ahead
• Power & Pulse
• Strength in Numbers
• Healthy Faith
• Educational Material Development
• Grantmanship Training – Grant Writing
Throughout the past 4 years, Healthy Nevada has taken on numerous healthy food accessibility projects. The innovations listed below have taken place at numerous locations in the community with partners to ensure we can all make the most of life’s opportunities with every meal, snack and drink!
• Vernon County Farmer’s Market EBT qualified and implement a CSA
• Healthy Vending
• Healthy Concessions
• Grocery Store Tours
• Wellness Kiosks
• Seeds of Faith Produce Collaborative
• Nutrition/Cooking Education Classes
Healthy Nevada recognizes the importance of physical activity in the overall well-being of a person. Whether it’s walking, biking or pumping iron, several projects have been developed to get Vernon County moving.
• Community Trail – 1st Trail ADA compliant
• Movin’ and Losin’ Community Challenge
• Stroller Fitness
• Bike & Walking Routes
• Step4IT Vernon County Challenge
In order to create sustainable changes that will long last any project, policy, systems and environment (PSE) changes are imperative. Healthy Nevada has worked hard with local partners to bring about PSE changes within Vernon County.
• PedNet Community Analysis- Bicycle & Pedestrian Plan, Healthy Food Accessibility, etc.
• Show Me Tobacco Free Vernon County – advocated for 1st Tobacco Free Indoor Policy City Wide
• 1st Community in Southwest Missouri to pass a Prescription Drug Monitoring Program.
• New Community Trail to increase physical activity
• New bike route signage
• New walking route signage